Due to the COVID-19 situation, we have suspended attachments and internships until further notice.
Nonetheless, do drop us an email at email@example.com with the period that you would like to volunteer and we will be in touch with you.
We offer 2 and 4 week attachments. Student have the choice of either volunteering with the Community Legal Clinics (CLCs) or the Criminal Legal Aid Scheme (CLAS). Both offer students an insight into the legal aid ecosystem. Where possible, students can also attend the community legal clinics, held in the evenings at the Community Development Councils.
We are looking for students who are committed to using their time during the attachment effectively. We hope to allow students to have an enriching experience where they can pick up transferable skills and receive useful feedback.
During the attachment with the CLC, you will:
- Assist our officers to interview and register applicants for the CLCs;
- Summarize the legal issues faced by applicants and assist in the preparation of case list/synopsis;
- Provide general administrative support;
- Sit in and take notes for lawyers giving advice at the legal clinics; and
- Provide research assistance on legal issues encountered (ad hoc).
During the attachment with CLAS, you will:
- Assist in the registration of applicants for criminal legal aid;
- Take minutes for lead lawyer sessions with the applicants;
- Interviewing applicants to gather brief facts on their cases; and
- Administrative duties.
Volunteers will be able to:
1. Gain a better understanding of the legal aid schemes available in Singapore, especially those administered by us.
2. Become more empathetic listeners and learn to ask questions effectively, interviewing applicants and summarising their legal issues for case lists.
3. Be exposed to legal knowledge and observe how lawyers give advice to applicants in legal clinics by sitting in and taking notes.
4. CLC interns get to role-play as a lawyer giving advice to applicants, draft legal advice for pretend applicants, and receive feedback from the our legal officer.
5. CLAS interns process legal aid and legal clinic applications, thereby understanding the difficulties applicants face in light of their lack of knowledge of the same.
6. Refine their written and oral advocacy skills.
Students aged 18 and above, who are currently enrolled to study and/or are studying a law degree.
If you are interested to volunteer with us, please complete the Student Volunteer Application Form, attaching:
- A photograph
- Educational qualifications and transcripts
Based on your suitability and available dates, you may be assigned to either CLCs or CLAS.
If your application is successful, you will be sent an information pack on all the necessary information you need to have a successful attachment with us. You will be tested before you commence your attachment so you would need to prepare accordingly!
For assistance/more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.